Penn State is Over, Bring on Wisconsin!

I will undoubtedly take some heat for this, but I don’t normally end up attending the IU home games. It’s not for lack of desire, or support for my team, but a function of my budget allowances. We have 3 young kids, and between tickets, drinks, parking, and childcare, it’s just not financially feasible for us most years. This year was ALMOST the exception when the season package for $199 was presented, but my husband had been laid off since April, and finances were again an issue. So, I know it’s just excuses, but I hadn’t yet been to a game this season.

My very employed, childless brother, however, was able to pick up tickets this season. He’s so employed, he had to work Saturday, as did his buddy that he bought the tickets with. So, I got them! (And my mom watched the kids! Yay!)

I mentioned last week that I also don’t have the Big Ten Network, so I’ve not SEEN our Hoosiers in action much. I rely a lot on what I hear, my personal knowledge of the game, and video clips afterwards to help me in my analysis. So, this was a big opportunity for me. I could focus on the areas I wanted to see, not what the TV let me see, and I could actually see, as opposed to just go with what Don tells me. And honestly, we looked pretty good. Yes, we fumbled the ball a few times, and muffed some kick/punt receptions. We could have played better, smarter ball in some aspects. Overall, I continue to feel that we are a strong, competitive team with a great opportunity to not only be bowl eligible, but to continue to build this program.

My first concern was clock management. This is an issue that I’ve wondered about listening to games, and now have seen firsthand. I think we could have gone into halftime in a better position if we had utilized our timeouts (we finished the half without using a single TO.) and continued to try to move the ball.
Tracy Porter, if you would spend a little more time defending the man across the line of scrimmage and a little less trying to intercept a pass, we would be hammered on those short sideline plays a whole lot less. Those 9 or 10 yard gains might only be a few yards, and you might even pick it off if you are close to the receiver.

Our O-line failed to protect Kellen Lewis, but Kellen, be the man who makes a run for it! You have the speed and ability; there were some good holes that if you stopped looking downfield for the man who wasn’t going to get open, and just ran for it, you had a first down easy. There were even a few firsts that were negated when you threw the incomplete after crossing the line! Sometimes, it won’t be the huge yardage play. That’s ok, a few yards is better than none at all, or 12 backwards.

I maintain my stance, however, that we are a good football team. Some of these mistakes are a combination of young players and “new” coaches. I realize that this coaching staff has been with these guys for a while, but the roles are different this year, and that takes some adaptation. Time, maturity and experience can make this squad a great football team. I firmly believe that. Lets go kick a little badger ass!

No comments: