Spring Practice

Here we go, time for some spring football. As you may already know, spring practice opens up tomorrow (March 25th). This will prove to be an interesting spring for the Hoosiers.

Coach Lynch enters his second year at the helm of the Hoosiers after being elevated to the head coaching spot after the death of Coach Hep. There have been minor changes to his staff, one is the lost of running backs coach Gerald Brown and the other is the new hire of Dennis Springer from Western Kentucky. Other changes are internal responsibilities. While Springer played for and coached under Lynch, his record as a running backs coach lead a little to be desired in my opinion.

Not only is Coach Lynch dealing with staffing changes, but the identity of his team has changed. Gone is the Lewis to Hardy connection. Hardy decided to jump early and head to the NFL, and Lewis is dealing with off the field issues that will cause him to miss spring practice. This elevates James Bailey as the likely #1 receiver and Ben Chappel as the #1 QB. He will also see McCray and Payton fight to become the starting tailback, before the addition of Darius Willis. This will also mark the first go round for the "7 block of limestone", coach Hep's line he started building. The senior leaders are gone, time for them to step up.

FYI - Mark my words, Thigpen WILL BE playing in the slot this season.

The defensive side of the ball will be strange, no Tracy Porter, no Majors, Evans will move back to QB from playing safety. I have decided to wait and see who is on the field on defense, before I make an opinion on what needs to be done.

I will attend the open practices on April 5th and 11th and the spring game on April 19th. Please check after those days for my thoughts, and some spring football photos. I bought a new Digital SLR and can't wait to get some action shots on the field. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I asked this on another site, but I'm curious about punter chris Hagerup. He was reportedly inconsistent last fall at punter, and I'm wondering why he has moved to QB for the spring? Will he punt? Or be a QB? If QB, what are our punter plans? Thanks.

Mike P. said...

Bob,

That is a very good question. Hagerup was a qb/punter and an all-state selection for both in high school. He was a little inconsistent last year during spring and summer drills, which led to him taking a red shirt season.

With Teddy Schell being injured and not able to participate in spring drills, I would expect to see Hagerup pulling double duty as 3rd string QB and a punter.

Don't worry though, his primary focus will still be punts.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Go Hoosiers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, thanks for helping me out. I'm a big fan of the Hoosiers, and I'm not trying to gossip. I just feel like I need all the facts. Any help you can give about KL is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Great website. I can't wait to see how our Hoosier team performs this fall. Go IU!

Ian from www.moneysite.tk